Friday 19 April 2013

Ketiwe visit

Ketiwe is a little clinic run in the monastery in Marianhill. It is run by a 1 very patient and kind hearted lady.
Our thursday visit coinsided with a cerebral palsy group that is usually run on this particular day. I dont think I have ever learnt so much in such a short amount of time! Partical experience that can not be learnt through a book.
One little boy stuck out in particular for me. He was 3 years old and was diagnosed with sever spastic quadraplegia (all four limbs are affected). Unlike the rest of the children, this little boy was unhappy, was not getting any attention or intervention at home, he was malnourished and just needing some tlc.
His femurs were dislocated due to the sever spasticity and the skin was peeling from his hands due to the sweat as a result of his hands being in a tight fist for a long period of time. While trying to treat the child and train the mom, his mom was too busy on her cellphone to answer my questions are look at the stretches and positions for her baby. I tried to use myt critical thinking brain and think what if I was in her shoes...looking after a normally developed baby is a 24/7 job, looking after a baby with cerebral palsy is just unimaginable. These children demand every second of everyday.
I then looked around at all the other parents and saw their hard work and dedication. This particular mom had just given up.
This really disturbed me for some time. My heart broke for this helpless little boy and I did for a split second contemplate stealing him and bringing him home so I could care for him but prison does not seem like a pleasent place to be.
After some reflection time, I sadly think that this is just a reality I have to learn to deal with. There will always be moms, care givers and families that just have given up in my experiences to come. As hard as this is to see, sometimes all you can do is try your best.
I am feeling disheartened and emotional, its never a nice thing to see, but as long as I do as much as I can to be an advocate and a voice for these people and treat as well as I can. I  have to learn to just accept the harsh reality but I never want to become hardened to it as it is a drive to always try to do the best you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment